Tuesday 15 April 2014

Grey expectations Chronicles of My Hair - Part 1

"There is only one cure for grey hair. It was invented by a Frenchman. It's called a guillotine." PG Wodehouse.






I'm experimenting with the idea of going grey. It’s a complicated, thorny topic which shouldn't be. A subject loaded with social constructs, ageism, sexism and self-worth.

It’s been a long time since I've seen my virgin hair. For 27 years I've been hiding my natural colour. There’s probably been a whole decade in which I couldn't tell you what that colour was.
At twenty I would race home from work on a pay day with a packet of Clairol ‘One Shade Lighter’ and armed with sheets of newspaper and a pastry brush I would set up a salon in the bathroom. Oblivious to the persistent interruptions of others knocking on the door and the life-threatening vapours emitted from said product, I would transform my dull mouse-brown, dirty blonde hair into something more vibrant. And so it began…

To many, a woman’s hair colour defines her. Grey equals old age. Youth is such a valued commodity in our society. There is an endless quest to look 25, right through to 85. As the years creep along dyeing your hair becomes creepy.  For some, going grey is akin to a medical condition, one to be avoided at all costs and sometimes to the extent of looking absurd.

Now, I want to go natural. Why? I'm tired of being a slave to my hair and the maintenance required. There’s something liberating about not having to worry about dyeing your hair, about being authentic, being the real me. Importantly, reducing the amount of time and money I spend on my hair is in line with my ideal of minimalism.

I know going grey is a result of time and genetics, but there’s a feeling of entitlement, having arrived at this moment and I'm inspired by the increasing number of women who have let their hair go grey with beautiful results.

I think I'm ready for this. My hairdresser has become my accomplice and assures me that with the use of highlight and lowlights, the transition to grey will be relatively painless (it’s that medical condition again). I trust her completely and recognise that I may not be as alone as I first thought in my endeavour to go grey. We will do this together the artist and I.

And if I don’t like it? It’ not irreversible, it’s a grey area.




After visit 1 in which I embrace my roots.

4 comments:

  1. oh rebecca you are so right. it is so liberating! and being ourselves...if not now, when? i'm so happy you are going to give it a go. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are very brave Rebecca. I so want to do this but know my hair will be snow white by now, I am 51. I started going grey when I was 16, I was devastated back then, but over the years I have learned to live with the constant dying of my hair. I do worry about all the chemicals though and what damage they are doing with my body, probably increasing my risk of some sort of cancer...I have been adding more healthy food to my diet, even dabbling with vegetarian and vegan. I tried juicing recently and that made me feel so full of life and energy, but now the weather is cooler I dont feel like drinking juice so much.

    Sorry for rambling, I just wanted to wish you luck with the transition to grey, I am sure the results will be just fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tania coincidentally I was in the process of updating some photos of my hair having gone to the hairdressers today! I zipped over to have a look at your wonderful blog and spent half an hour enjoying the lovely images and stories you have shared. I feel like I should know you somehow, I was once a Quorn girl (for 4 years). Your lifestyle is just beautiful. I'm keen to write a post about eating healthy and making healthy lifestyle choices... but little by little , still new at this blogging thing and need to gain some more confidence first. In the meantime I'll enjoy reading yours. All the best Tania :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just checking back in on your blog Rebecca, and I found you had answered me.

    Yes you would know who I am because I am from Ceduna born and bred. Lorimer was my maiden name. I rang you a while ago about Kavanagh family history I was chasing for someone. I am distantly related to the Kavanagh's :)

    xTania

    ReplyDelete