Saturday 14 June 2014

Runway Time








I can think of the many times I've almost made a decision that will set me on the path to achieving something I want, but then at the eleventh hour I've hesitated. Even when things as they are seem no longer tolerable, I've retreated. I’m fairly confident that this isn't just me and that we all make excuses, that we tag as ‘reasons’ for not doing what we would ‘love to do’ if only…

Most of us already know what it is we want to change and are clear about why we want to make the changes required. It may be leaving your tired old job and starting something new, moving to another town or country, leaving your partner or maybe changing something about your appearance.

Some of our best back-out excuses revolve around not having the time, energy, support or the money. We say we want things to be different but immediately we start mentally scrambling for all the reasons why these changes are not really possible. We stop ourselves from even starting. We’re stuck on the runway with no take-off in sight, we just taxi on and on through the weeks, years and decades.

So what happens from the time we buy the ticket and board the plane, rocket ship, submarine –insert mode of transport of your choice here - to the point of take-off? What makes us back off on the throttle and exit by the clearly marked signs?
  
For me, and I’m guessing for most of us, change triggers a deep fear that comes from stepping out of my comfort zone and possibly succeeding. I avoid any chance of experiencing pain. What if I fail? What if people will think I’m strange?

The problem as I see it, is that by thinking everything to death and over analyzing the pros and cons, I wind up paralyzed and take no action at all. All of us contemplating change need have more faith in our own resilience and trust that the steps we take will be the right ones. We need to be a little bit brave and commit to doing something RIGHT NOW. The truth is nothing is guaranteed and we’re all just guessing.

This week I signed up for a half marathon, and yes I’m terrified by my action, but I’m pretty excited too. Sometimes it’s easier just to take action and not think too much about it. If you’re scared to make the change you want, take the first step, take action and rely on the fact that you've got the ability to adapt and learn the skills required to get you to the end.

Do what you have to do this week; sign up with a Personal Trainer if you want to get fit, get rid of all the bad food in your house, be ruthless with this, register in a course that will take you closer to your dream job or set up a web page for your start-up business, book in for driving lessons, cooking lessons, there’s always someone who will teach you for a price, dare to get that piercing or tattoo … Just commit to making a change and then take one small action that will get you off the runway.


No comments:

Post a Comment