Tuesday 5 March 2013

Mutton-sleeves to go with those lambskin gloves? Or are Ewe just looking?


Recently I went shopping with my lovely 19 year old daughter, she wore a beautiful white blouse over skinny jeans.... I wore.... a cloak that made me invisible!

I wanted to buy something that would carry me between seasons, a light-weight knitted top perhaps or something from the new season's colours to add to my recently organised wardrobe. 
Buoyed by the anticipation of making a purchase, I smiled my most charming smile at the fresh young saleswoman, as she approached us. Still smiling I said hello but she seemed to have spotted someone over my shoulder and asked 'hi! can I help you with anything today?' Perhaps she has an eye aversion or an astigmatism I thought, and was really looking at me... but no, her sight was apparently quite okay, it was just me she didn't want to see. 
On the other hand my daughter was most certainly a visual target. The saleswoman fluttered around her making suggestions as to what may be a suitable item to try on, while I stood awkwardly clutching my purse, looking, I suspect, like Mary Poppins in a strip club. 
My daughter, who was not interested in this particular shop, wandered off and the salesbeeeech seemed to suddenly become aware of my existence. 'Just looking?' she sort of asked as she closely examined a life-threatening smudge that had developed on her over-processed nails. I gave her a weak smile and left the shop. I only wish the change rooms were the Tardis and I could have evaporated into thin air....with the Doctor....who looks fabulous even though he's over 200 years old.

Now I'm not suggesting all fashion outlets respond the same way to the over 50 shopper, and certainly I've had some great experiences in our local area where the assistant is more than happy to indulge my fantasy-self in trying on all sorts of garments, suitable and maybe not so suitable while giving some very worthwhile advice. But I do wonder if there are some rules regarding what women 50 and over should or shouldn't be wearing. 
For instance, is there a time when scrunchies and other hair adornements should disappear? (I'm thinking ten years of age) and when should women of that certain age forget about navel exposing tops? (this is an important consideration as an over-sized fifty something wearing a muffin top can have a life long detrimental impact on unsuspecting viewers, requiring years of therapy).
  I"m not suggesting we should stay at home in front of the TV in our onesies....(though there are times when that holds a certain appeal)...but there must be rules of engagement regarding shopping for fashion.

However, this may yet be another lesson as I simplify my life, maybe I need to learn how to admire something rather than desiring ownership every time.

There are some very inspiring older women who are comfortable in their own skin and take great care of their bodies and minds. Take the time to look at the video link below to see Maia Helles and be touched by this beautiful video by Julia Warr (you may need to copy and paste into your browser)

And if you have ideas about the fashion rules for women I'd love to hear them....

http://vimeo.com/31733784



http://fineartamerica.com/featured/mutton-dressed-as-lamb-caroline-peacock.html

No comments:

Post a Comment